Sunday, October 5, 2008

Mom's Visit

Mom came to visit me September 24th to 30th. We had a very packed schedule with places to go things to do. To 'entice' her to come, I found out that Willie Nelson would be in concert at Radio City Music Hall. I asked her if she would be interested in going. David, Sally and I popped for the plane ticket for a birthday present. The week before she came, I talked to Mom on the phone and she was sick.....she went to the doctor the day before the trip and found out she had pneumonia. Mom arrived on Wednesday morning after a 'red-eye' flight. I told her she could sleep all day and we could 'play it by ear' for the trip depending on how she felt.

Day 1 - Wednesday
Mom arrived at JFK and ordered her own car transportation to the city. I got up and made breakfast for her arrival. To do this I went downstairs to the deli next door and picked up some fresh bagels, yogurt and juice. Mom arrived in her 'town car' movie star style.....and I promptly sent her to bed...I went to work.

Day 2 - Thursday
I got up, got ready for work and woke Mom before I left. She could not believe she slept through my shower, hairdryer and 'getting ready' noise....I can...she was snoring like a baby.....I went to work and she slept. I came home from work about 1:00 PM and we went to lunch. We went to Grand Central Terminal to the Oyster Bar. We sat down at the lunch counter and had great po'boy sandwiches. After lunch we did a little shopping and then came back to my place. We rested up and then got ready to go to the Willie Nelson concert. After the concert we went to grab a bite to eat. Mom wanted to go to a Scottish pub that Mel had told her about. We went to St. Andrews Pub and Mom had her 'Manhattan in Manhattan'.

Day 3 - Friday
We got up...not to early and got ready to go shopping. We went to lunch at Pershing Square which is a restaurant under the Park Avenue bridge. We sat and talked for awhile because it was raining and we were hoping it would pass. It did not. We walked over to Macy's and began shopping. Mom got a bunch of new clothes and a really great coat. After our long day of shopping we went back to my place....Cooked dinner....ordered out from an Italian Place around the corner. Mom loved the lasagna.
Day 4 - Saturday
We got up early and took the train to Poughkeepsie. We met a tour bus and went to the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Museum and Presidential Library. We spent the day there touring the grounds. It was a beautiful crisp fall day. We headed back to the city on the train. I cooked a great Indian dinner from my favorite restaurant across the street from my building.

Day 5 - Sunday
We stayed in on this day. Mom twisted her knee on the way to catch the train, so we stayed in on Sunday and Mom rested and iced her knee. We had planned to go to the Jets game, but the forecast was for rain and neither of us wanted to stand at a game in the rain. We substituted by watching some football on TV and we ate leftovers for dinner.

Day 6 - Monday
Monday we walked to Rockefeller Center and went to the 'Top of the Rock'. From the top there is a 360 degree view of New York City. Mom was a little nervous at first because of the height, but I think she ended up enjoying the trip to the top. We began to walk back to my place and took a side trip to stop at Safra for Mom to meet Peter and Jeremy. After meeting the guys, we stopped at a Starbucks for a bit....then we walked home. Italian for dinner and watched Monday Night football...and Dancing with the Stars.

Day 7 - Tuesday
I got up and went to work and Mom got ready to go home. I stopped by my favorite place for lunch and brought back a sandwich for Mom before she left. Mom left via car to JFK and then back to SLC. We had a great time. Below are some pics from the week. NOTE: The last picture is of Isabel and Alfred. The entire week they fought over who got to sleep in Mom's suitcase. After she left, I looked over on the couch and saw them sleeping next to each other....they must have been tired of fighting?





No comments: