
When I was in St.Louis earlier this month I had a scary experience that turned out to be hilarious. My friend Paula and I had flown early in the AM from NYC to be at our next meeting in St.Louis. After early morning hassle at the airport and then a hassle with the rental car, we were finally on our way to our meeting. Hertz messed up and did not have a GPS for us to use. I told Paula I was pretty good with directions, so we were on our way. As we were driving, we could see our destination. The tricky thing in alot of places except Utah, is that there are these frontage roads that are one way. We were on the correct side of the street, but could not find the entrance to the building we were going to. We decided to try to get there by going around the building to another entrance. As we were driving, we heard this loud horn ..BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! I looked around and Paula looked around and did not see an emergency vehicle. Then I looked up and my stomach dropped.....it was a tornado horn, right in front of us. I told Paula that it was a disaster horn. We started yelling what should we do, crap, just our luck...agggh... We did not know what to do. Piled on our morning of stress, a tornado was coming now! When we were in NYC, the week prior, there had been a terrible storm in Kansas. I remember David telling me that it was an erie feeling. I pulled the car over and we did not know what to do. Then the horn stopped. I guess it was not a test. When we finally made it to the office, we asked our host and he said that the horns are tested every first Monday of the month at 11:00 AM....well, that is what it was, a test, not a tornado.

No comments:
Post a Comment