
A couple of weeks ago, I heard some voices out on the roof. Outside my apartment windows is a roof. It is not the top of the building but the landing for the fire escape. I was doing my usual internet surfing and heard some people arguing out on the roof. I decided to call Jeremy since he lives five floors above, and ask him to look out the window. Well, he was not at home, but still at work. I stayed on the phone with him while he ran home to check out the noises. When he got here he went out on the roof and did see a person on the roof talking to someone else. We went to the Super's apartment which is a couple of doors down from mine to report the noise. Jeremy went outside to check it out again and the fighting got louder. Then someone started smashing in windows. All of a sudden, I heard my window being smashed in. I screamed and Jeremy yelled for me to come down the hall. We piled into the Super's apartment and called 911. Within 5 minutes the cops arrived...all NYPD style... and went to apprehend the suspects. They were able to catch one guy. Apparently he was all disoriented and did not know how to get off the roof. We then had to go and 'ID' the guy in the cop car out in front of the building. A couple of hours later some more forensic cops (CSI ones) came to look and see if they needed fingerprints. Jeremy and I were also working with the Super to get the tape of who entered and exited the building....all of this ruckus ended about 2:30 AM. The next morning we spoke with the Asst. DA regarding the situation. We ended up going to prepare for court the next week. We found out that the guy was friends of some other guys in the building and was all disoriented. He ended up pleading guilty and was fined for the damage. He also has an order to stay away from our building.
I have posted some pics of the damages....needless to say, I have purchased window and door alarms. I also have getting back to a normal sleeping schedule. I cannot seem to think every night around 10:30 if anyone is coming back.
This story also made it in the NYPD police beat....I guess we did not need a note for being late into the office the next morning.
Here's a link to the NY post police beat.....http://www.nypost.com/seven/02022009/news/nypdblotter/nypdblotter.htm
No comments:
Post a Comment